MUNICIPAL

CASA ALIANZA HISTORIC RESTORATION

CASA ALIANZA HISTORIC RESTORATION

Casa Alianza is a historic restoration project of a 1947 art deco building in the historic section of Casco Viejo, Panama. The building is located on Cathedral Square surrounded by buildings from the 1800s. On this site stood a building owned by the archdiocese of Panama and built-in in 1865 as a seminary. The building was destroyed in 1945 by fire, but its original foundation remained and was reused. Now owned by the government of Panama, MCM was commissioned to design and build the restoration/renovation of the building and its conversion into government offices.
The building was in complete decay with major structural issues that led the building to be declared unfit for habitation. MCM‘s task included complete structural rehabilitation while maintaining the historic exterior walls in place. The entire building was braced from the outside while the interior walls and floor slabs were all removed. A new structural steel system with pin piles was put in place with new concrete slab floors and new partitions installed. The interior five levels were all redesigned with the new office program while maintaining all exterior elements intact.

OWNER

City of Panama, Presidential Sector

DESIGN TEAM

ZNCO Arquitectura

LOCATION

Casco Antiguo, Panama

press to zoom

press to zoom

press to zoom

press to zoom
1/4

Browse Projects

To play, press and hold the enter key. To stop, release the enter key.