Municipal - Casa Alianza Historic Restoration
Casa Alianza is a historic restoration project of a 1947 art deco building in the historic section of Casco Viejo, Panama. The building is located on Cathedral Square surrounded by buildings from the 1800’s. On this site stood a building owned by the archdiocese of Panama and built in 1865 as a seminary. The building was destroyed in 1945 by fire, but its original foundation remained and was reused. Now owned by the government of Panama, MCM was commissioned to design and build the restoration / renovation of the building and its conversion into government offices.
The building was in complete decay with major structural issues that led the building to be declared unfit for habitation. MCM ‘s task included complete structural rehabilitation while maintaining the historic exterior walls in place. The entire building was braced from the outside while the interior walls and floor slabs were all removed. A new structural steel systems with pin piles was put in place with new concrete slab floors and new partitions installed. The interior five levels were all re designed with the new office program while maintaining all exterior elements intact.